Mud Management Made Easy, Forever
By conforming to your existing terrain, Lighthoof is the only product that can lie right over your existing muddy ground. There's no need to excavate or create a compacted gravel layer underneath. You can install it on steep slopes, around trees and over roots, through shallow ditches, and on lumpy ground. Lighthoof can also be used to create supported open drainage features within your area, a huge benefit for maintaining your surface flow.
- Lighthoof is easier and cheaper to install.
- Less intense site prep: No need to remove mud or access your area with heavy equipment — ideal for remote, tight, or large areas on your farm, or low budget installations.
- Much lower gravel usage: Grid guidelines recommend 8-34" of gravel for proper installation depending on conditions. Lighthoof uses 4-6" for all conditions.
- DIY Friendly: Lighthoof is very easy to install and doesn't require specialized equipment or tools. If you can't or don't want to hire someone to install your Lighthoof panels, you can roll up your sleeves, grab a rake and a hammer, and get 'er done yourself!
- Lighthoof is safe and gentle with no brittle edges or slippery surfaces.
Lighthoof Safety Benefits, As a Stall Base, and More
- Lighthoof is made from flexible plastic strips, not hard plastic tiles.
- Lighthoof's expanding panels use about 1/3 as much plastic as the hard grids, making it lightweight and safe while also being better for the environment.
- Safer than concrete, it also offers better drainage and traction, making it an excellent alternative for stall and barn aisleway bases over traditional concrete.
- Because it allows for drainage, it pairs well with permeable stall mats that can save money and reduce waste in bedding and other needs while also preventing erosion of the ground underneath, unlike concrete.
Hard plastic grids contain approximately three times more plastic than Lighthoof! Three times more plastic means three times the weight for shipping and three times the environmental impact. Lighthoof weighs less than half a pound per square foot of coverage and ships / stores collapsed at 3% of its expanded size, saving materials and saving you money!
If they do become exposed, Lighthoof's flexible textured panels can't poke up out of the ground with a hard or sharp edge to injure your horse. The gentle cell walls simply bend over under the horse's weight without cutting him, preventing the panel from becoming more exposed. In the same situation, leverage can cause a hard plastic tile to lift further out of the footing, exposing a slippery surface or sharp edge.
When it comes to concrete vs. the alternative, Lighthoof wins hands down. Concrete is not horse-friendly, and can cause horses to slip and fall causing serious and even catastrophic, life threatening injuries or death. Furthermore, the ground underneath the concrete is still subject to erosion which can cause the concrete to shift, split, crack, and more. Now if your barn or stalls are on that concrete pad, imagine what happens! (And check out this testimonial on Horse Nation for a great review of why she made the switch from concrete to Lighthoof!)
Lighthoof is Environmentally Friendly
Did you know that Lighthoof reduces your horses' environmental impact? It does!
Because Lighthoof stops muddy paddock areas from interfering with the proper filtering of groundwater and prevents damage to sub-base, it actually reduces the impact of horses and livestock on the existing ground. In addition, because it's semi-permeable, rain water can slowly filter through it into the soil without erosion, and it prevents manure and silt runoff from contaminating bodies of water.
Use of Lighthoof "sacrifice area" in winter keeps your pasture healthy and grassy, which fights erosion, dust, and habitat destruction on your land. Lighthoof provides a solid base for your horse's paddock footing to stop mud in its tracks, even helping protect tree roots if you have them in your sacrifice area. Lighthoof is made of a flexible High Density Polyethylene, an inert and harmless material that won't break down in the soil or leach chemicals into your groundwater.
LIKE TREE ROOTS, LIGHTHOOF PROVIDES SUPPORT TO PREVENT EROSION AND UNHEALTHY RUN-OFF OR SOIL CONDITIONS
Do you know your local conservation district? Conservation districts are non-regulatory agencies that provide free planning, technical assistance, and even cost-sharing to help small farms become more environmentally friendly.
Inquire at your county's conservation district to learn about programs in your area.